Pick up and drop off is located at 6B Nathan Place, Palmerston North.
Daily, including weekends and public holidays – 9:00am – 6:00pm
Closed Christmas Day
Pick ups and drop offs must commence 30mins before closure.
One Way Rentals
One-way rentals are not normally available but may be arranged on request (at an additional cost)
All drivers with a full car licence are insured. Licences must be sighted by check-in staff prior to commencing the rental. Licences from approved countries or an international driver’s licence are acceptable.
If your licence is not in English an authorized/official translation must be provided.
There is no charge for additional drivers but all licences must be sighted.
The minimum hire periods are as follows:
24th December – end of January – 14 days
1st – 23rd December & all February – 7 days
March, April, October, November – 4 days
May, June, July, August, September – 2 days
No Pets Permitted
Sorry, pets and livestock are not permitted.
New Zealand Traffic Rules
The speed limit on the open road is 100kph. In built up areas the limit is 50kph. A copy of the NZ traffic rules is supplied with your vehicle. Safety belts and child/baby restraints are required by law. Please advise if there are children under 5 years old travelling.
We have a carseat available for hire if required.
If you are penalised for breaking any traffic laws, parking regulations or failing to pay any toll road fees, you are fully liable for any fines and/or administration costs.
Vehicle Security Deposit
When you collect your vehicle we require a credit card imprint or cash bond to secure the vehicle and your accident damage excess liability as well as any extra costs such as fuel fill up, emptying the toilet, driving fines and infringements, losses or breakages or not returning the vehicle to the specified location on the required date etc. The credit card must be valid for 28 days after the end of the hire.
Accidents and Breakdowns
Any problems encountered with the vehicle or equipment must be reported to Palmy Campers as soon as possible. Failure to do so will compromise any claim that may eventuate after the hire has finished.
Minor repairs (when the hirer is not at fault) up to NZ$100 may be made without authorization and will be reimbursed upon production of itemized receipt. Amounts above NZ$100 require approval from Palmy Campers and clients must retain an itemised receipt.
If you have a breakdown which is not user error the liability of Palmy Campers extends to either replacing your vehicle with a similar one or refunding you your hire charge for any full days you lose the total use of the vehicle. Any additional accommodation costs are at your expense and you should ensure your travel insurance covers this.
If you have an accident or breakdown due to user error and lose the use of the vehicle while it is repaired there is no refund due. In addition, you are responsible for getting the van back to the drop off location. If the repair time extends past the end date of your rental you may be liable for additional rental day charges and costs associated with recovering the vehicle from the location it has been repaired.
While you are on a rental, if you breakdown you need to call the AA number in the van. They will talk through your issue and send someone out to you if needed. If it is a user error they will charge you either $90 or $165 for this depending on your location in the country. If it is a mechanical fault there is no charge.
All vehicles must be returned with a full tank of fuel. If the fuel tank is not full on return you will be charged $40 per 1⁄4 tank.
Vehicles must be returned with an empty toilet and empty grey water tank. Failure to do this will incur a cost of $250.
Conditions of Hire
- All prices, tariffs and costs are those applying at the time of publication and Palmy Campers reserve the right to alter them at any time without notice.
- Palmy Campers accepts no responsibility for the detention, delay, loss, damage or injury which a hirer might experience no matter how of by whom it is caused.
- Palmy Campers rental agreement is the sole contract for hiring the vehicle, between the company and the hirer and passenger(s).
- No refunds are payable on accommodation or for days when vehicles are not available, where the hirer or passenger amends, cancels or seeks to vary agreements after departure.
- Palmy Campers reserves the right to provide a comparable vehicle where a booked vehicle becomes unavailable through servicing or reasons beyond the company’s control.
- Deposit is required at the time of confirmation with final balance paid on vehicle pick up.
- Amendment fees – once a booking is confirmed 1 amendment can be made free of charge. Additional amendments will be charged at $25 each. This fee will be waived if the amendment increases the value of the hire. If an amendment is made that alters the date of pickup to a later date then any cancellation of the booking thereafter is charged at 100%, regardless of when the cancellation is made.
- Cancellation fees – If cancelled 28 days or more – no charge. If cancelled 8-27 days prior to the vehicle pick up – 20% of hire cost. If cancelled 1-7 days prior to vehicle pick up – 50% of the hire cost. Cancellations and no shows on the day of pick up will be charged at 100% of hire. No refunds for cancellations permitted after travel has commenced. No refunds for vehicles returned early.
- Substitution of vehicle. If, for any reason beyond our control, the reserved vehicle is not available, we reserve the right to substitute a comparable vehicle. We will refund the cost should it be a lower valued vehicle. Substitution of manual for automatic or vice-versa may be necessary.
- Minor repairs (when the hirer is not at fault) up to NZ$100 may be made without authorisation and will be reimbursed upon production of an itemised receipt. Amounts above NZ$100 require approval from Palmy Campers.
- Vehicle return. All vehicles must be returned to the nominated Palmerston North location with a full fuel tank and waste emptied (toilet and grey water). If they are not, then Palmy Campers reserves the right to withhold part of the vehicle security deposit to cover the costs of filling the fuel or emptying the waste tanks. Should the vehicle be deemed to be in an unclean state when returned Palmy Campers reserves the right to charge the hirer NZ$150.
11.1. The hirer is required to:
– Empty toilet and waste tank
– Fill with fuel
– Wash all dishes
– Sweep the floor
– Remove personal rubbish
– Outside of vehicle must be clean enough to ascertain if any accident damage has occurred.
11.2. If hiring a Diesel vehicle (Edwin – 6 berth motorhome), road user charges are calculated at 8.2c per kilometre driven and is payable on return.
Standard Excess Insurance Cover:
All vehicles come with fully comprehensive commercial insurance cover which insures against recoverable 3rd party accident damage, theft and break-ins (excluding personal belongings). A standard excess of $2000 (per incident) applies in the event of any damage to either our vehicle or 3rd party property.
An additional $500 excess applies for drivers aged between 21 and 25 years of age.
An additional $1000 excess applies for drivers under 21 years of age or any driver who has held a full licence for less than 12 months immediately preceding the date of loss.
A $1 charge to a credit card will be taken and refunded on vehicle collection. An imprint of that card only (no money held) will be taken on vehicle collection. If you do not have a credit card, the security can be covered by cash or bank transfer which will be returned at the end of the rental providing there are no accidents or additional charges due. A credit card will only be charged in case of accident or additional charges being incurred on the rental.
If there is an accident during the rental we will retain or charge the full security amount until the claim is processed and then refund any amount due.
We retain the right to hold credit card details until 28 days after the hire.